(A).The Declaration of Godhead.
1. Eternity of Being–vv. 1,2.” The same was in the beginning with God."
2. Creator of all things – v. 3.” All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that hath been made.” Here is CAUSE, CHANNEL and CONTINUITY, i.e. apart from Christ not one single thing-microscopic or telescopic–has been brought into being, and nothing has further appeared except through Him.
NOTE : Two references to Godhead–
Rom. 1. 20. “ His everlasting power and divinity.” Divine things are an evidence of God, they prove the fact of God and His existence, but do not reveal His nature and essence.
Col. 2. 9. “ For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily”. (Deity).
Illustration : A ear indicates the existence, skill and power of a designer and creator, though it does not describe the nature of his person, such as appearance, temperament, qualities, etc.God is fully expressed in Christ.
3. Origin and Source of Life–v. 4 “ In him was life …"
4. Imparter of Light v. 4, 5 “ the life was the light of men ; and the light shineth in the darkness ; and the darkness comprehended (M. overcame) it not the light of conscience in man despite the darkness–distinguish between lower creation, this “ the light of men."
5. Authority v. 12. “As many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them who believe on his name."
6. Precedence–John’s testimony–v. 15. “ He that cometh after me is become before me."
7. Revealer of the Father v. 18. “ The only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared (told him out) “–that is, He has declared that of God which no man had at any time seen or known ; not only that which was hid of God, but that which was “ hid in God “ (Eph. 3. 9).
(B).The Display of Glory. v. 14. “ We beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from tin; father."
Glory of His Person – countenance and clothing– Luke 9. 29, 32. “ when they were fully-awake they saw his glory-"
Glory of His character–
His words: Luke 4. 22. “All … wondered at the words of grace which proceeded out of his mouth.
His walk: Jn. 1. 36 “ and lie looked upon Jesus as he walked, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God !"
He was “ holy, guileless, undefiled, and separated from sinners “ Heb. 7. 26.
His works: For the glory of God–Jn. 5. 36. “ The works which the Father hath given me to accomplish, the very works that 1 do."
For the blessing of men–Matt. 11. 2, 5. “ John heard in prison the works of the Christ … the blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have good tidings preached unto them.”
(C).The Descent of Grace.
v. 10. Unknown and unrecognized–” He was in the
world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not."
v. 11. Unheeded and unsought–"He came unto his own, and they that were his own received him not."
v. 14. The abode of Grace–” The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us … full of grace and truth."
v. 16. The abundanceofGrace–” For of his fulness we all received, and grace for grace."
v. 17. The avenue of Grace–” The law was given by Moses ; grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”