This is the privacy notice of Precious Seed, PO Box 10544, Grantham, NG31 0HW, UK, referred to as ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ in this privacy notice.
This privacy notice sets out how we collect and process your personal data. This privacy notice also provides certain information that is legally required and lists your rights in relation to your personal data.
This privacy notice relates to personal information that identifies you as a natural person (whether you are an actual or potential customer, an individual who browses our website or an individual outside our organization with whom we interact). We refer to this information throughout this privacy notice as personal data or personal information and further detail of what this includes are set out in this privacy notice below.
Links to third party websites
The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us so we want to assure you that your information will be properly managed and protected by us at all times. Please read this privacy notice carefully as it explains how we may collect and use your personal data.
This privacy notice may vary from time to time so please check it regularly. This privacy notice was last updated on 25/05/2018.
How to contact us
Controller and contact details
For the purposes of relevant data protection legislation, we are a controller of your personal data. As a controller we use (or process) the personal data we hold about you in accordance with this privacy notice.
If you need to contact us in connection with the use or processing of your personal data, then you can do so using our contact details as set out below.
Data protection representative
Our data protection representative is John Bennett who you can contact at [email protected]. Our mail address is as set out above, or PO Box 10544, Grantham, NG31 0HW.
What information we hold about you and where we obtain this from
The personal data that we collect about you may include the following information:
- Personal data you provide to us in person, via our website or by telephone
- Personal data you provide when you enquire about the magazine, or when you purchase products from us, including general information about you, such as your name, address and contact details
- Personal data you provide if you subscribe to any of our mailing or newsletter services
- Financial details, such as your bank account and card details
- Information about your use of our website, such as your IP address which is a unique number identifying your computer, including personal data gathered using cookies
We collect your personal data from you as a controller when you subscribe to receive the magazine, sign up for our mailing list, make donations, and make purchases from us.
How we use your personal data and the lawful basis for doing so
Where we are relying on a basis other than consent
We may rely on one or more of the following legal bases when processing your personal data for the following purposes:
- In order to perform our contractual obligations to you. This would include our fulfilling your requests for the purchase of materials from us.
- To administer your account, including financial transactions for purchases and donations.
- for marketing research, data analysis and troubleshooting. Where we are using any data for analytics, we will only use that data to observe trends and it will not be used in a way that could identify any particular individual;
- to repair and improve this site or ensure that the content on our site is presented in the most effective manner;
- as part of our efforts to keep this site safe and secure;
- to detect or prevent unlawful, malicious or offensive activity; or
- to comply with an order of a Court of Law of competent jurisdiction.
The legal bases on which we will rely for our processing are that the activities are either necessary to perform our contract with you, necessary for our legitimate interests or are necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
In this privacy notice, “legitimate interest” means our interest in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/product. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
Who we pass your personal data to
We may need to pass your personal data to other companies which may include:
- Firms that provide administration and processing services to us or on our behalf under contract in order to complete activities such as purchase order fulfilment, magazine distribution, IT systems and administrative services and other activities set out in this privacy notice, as well as support activities such as finance and auditing services
- Organizations that have a specific role laid out in law, such as statutory bodies, regulatory authorities and other authorized bodies
- Other organizations where we have a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law, for example if we received a valid request from the police or other third party organisation in the interest of preventing and detecting crime
The information you share with us may be transferred by us or any of the types of firms or organizations we have noted above, to other countries in order for processing to take place, including locations outside of the UK and the European Union. We will only do so if there are adequate levels of protection in place as required by applicable data protection laws.
Accessing our website and cookies
When you visit one of our websites we may collect information from you, such as your email address, IP address and other online identifiers. This helps us to track unique visits and monitor patterns of customer website traffic, such as who visits and why they visit. We use third parties to collate IP addresses to help us understand our Internet traffic data and data regarding your browser type and computer. We may also use web usage information to create statistical data regarding the use of our website. We may then use or disclose that statistical data to others for marketing and strategic development purposes, but no individuals will be identified in such statistical data.
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default, although it’s possible to set a browser to reject cookies. We’ll ask your permission before using any cookie that’s not essential to the email or the use of the website. However, refusing to accept cookies may restrict your use of our website and/or delay or affect the way in which our website operates. You can find more information on cookies when you visit our website.
The open nature of the internet is such that data may flow over networks without security measures and may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. While this is outside of our control, we do take the protection of your information very seriously and aim to apply appropriate levels of security at all times.
We will only store your data for as long as is necessary to fulfil your requirements and any legal obligations or lawful processing conditions that may exist as a result as follows:
- Magazine Subscription: indefinitely unless instructed otherwise
- Shop Customers (where an account is created by the customer): seven years after the date of the last purchase
- Shop Customers (Guest Users): seven years after purchase
- Book Club Members: indefinitely unless instructed otherwise
You have a number of rights concerning the personal information we use, which you may ask us to observe. In some cases, even when you make a request concerning your personal information, we may not be required, or be able to carry out your request as this may result in us not being able to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations under the lawful processing conditions under which we hold your data or because there is a minimum statutory period of time for which we have to keep your information. If this is the case, we will let you know our reasons.
You can ask us to:
- Provide a copy of your personal information
- Correct or delete unnecessary or inaccurate personal information
- Restrict or to object to the use of your personal information at any time
- Where we rely on your consent to use your personal information, you can withdraw that consent at any time. Where your consent is withdrawn, your previous consent will remain valid in respect of our use of your information prior to the date you withdrew it, or if any marketing material has been sent prior to you advising that you don’t want us to contact you again. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy notice or your data protection rights please contact us using our details set out at the beginning of this privacy notice.
You also have the right to make an enquiry or to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy with our use of your data, or if you think we have breached a legal requirement. Further details about the ICO are available at: www.ico.org.uk.
How we contact you about other products and services
Where we have obtained your consent for us to do so, we may process your personal data from time to time to let you know about similar products and services that may be of interest to you. This is because we value your custom and we recognize that there may be other products which might meet your needs. This includes keeping you informed on the latest publications and details of any offers or promotions relating to our products. We may contact you by post, telephone or e-mail. You will be given the option to stop receiving any communications from us in this regard at any time. However, please note that this will not affect us contacting you about the servicing of products that you have specifically requested from us.